2024 NFL Mock Draft: Only 2 QBs taken in top 5 as teams prioritize other positions; Raiders trade with Giants

Written by on April 6, 2024

What if the public likes these QBs more than the clubs do?

Getty Images

What if we’re wrong? That’s the question I focused on all week as I prepared to write my latest mock draft. As we approach the NFL Draft later this month, there has been an avalanche of acceptance when it comes to the theory that the first four picks could all be quarterbacks.

On the one hand, it’s understandable. Quarterbacks are important, and plenty of teams with the opportunity to grab one need one. But then there’s the other part of this equation: the one that says we’ve never seen anything like that happen before. In 2021, the first three picks were all QBs (how’s that working out, by the way?), and last season saw three go in the top four, but four straight? That would be unprecedented.

So what if we’re wrong? What if we’re all caught in an echo chamber about this QB class, and the teams don’t feel the same? What if those teams are happy to let the rest of us believe it will happen so they could trade down or see players they want fall to them?

That’s the approach I took for this mock. That we’re all idiots who know nothing. If you’re one of the 5% of people who read this intro, you’ll understand what you’re about to see. The other 95% can assume I’m a clueless moron. I’m fine with that.

For more draft coverage, you can hear in-depth analysis twice a week on “With the First Pick” — our year-round NFL Draft podcast with NFL Draft analyst Ryan Wilson and former Vikings general manager Rick Spielman. You can find “With the First Pick” wherever you get your podcasts: Apple PodcastsSpotifyYouTube, etc.

The 2024 NFL Draft will take place from April 25-27 in Detroit. More draft coverage can be found at CBSSports.com, including the weekly updated draft order and a regularly available look at the eligible prospects

Our Latest Nfl Draft Stories

The post 2024 NFL Mock Draft: Only 2 QBs taken in top 5 as teams prioritize other positions; Raiders trade with Giants first appeared on CBS Sports.

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Current track